Knowing which skills every modern construction worker should master is important for career success. Developing these skills helps workers stay competitive in their field.
Aligning construction skills with the qualifications employers are looking for provides additional opportunities for career development. The following suggestions can help.
Discover five skills every modern construction worker should master.
1. Math Skills
Construction workers should have a strong understanding of basic math, algebra, and geometry. These skills are required to make accurate measurements, calculate angles, and adjust plans as needed.
2. Tech Skills
Advancements in construction technology help develop new building methods and tools to make project tasks easier and more profitable. The ability to use the latest technology helps provide additional value for employers. These skills also increase the number of opportunities available for construction workers.
3. Communication Skills
Working together on construction projects requires effective written and verbal communication:
- Writing is required for project management, safety reports, project updates, incident tracking, and auditing.
- Reading is necessary to interpret blueprints, code specifications, customer instructions, and other project-related documents.
- Talking is required to give directions and updates.
- Listening is necessary to follow directions.
- Asking questions helps minimize errors.
4. Problem-Solving Skills
The unpredictable nature of construction work means that problems can arise. These issues often involve inclement weather, broken tools, failed equipment, or delayed materials shipments. As a result, construction workers should be able to quickly analyze their options and outcomes and choose the best ones to solve problems.
5. Teamwork Skills
Effective construction workers collaborate with teammates and coworkers to complete projects. These workers share ideas and insight, provide and implement constructive feedback, and work with others to resolve conflicts.
Tips to Develop Modern Construction Skills
Modern construction workers can use the following methods to develop their skills:
- Prioritize safety. Frequently read regulatory websites and publications to review safety guidelines and protocols. Participate in safety classes. Earn safety certifications. Look for free and low-cost OSHA courses.
- Engage in training and classes. Remain current on building materials, tools, and processes to provide additional value for employers. Look for continuing education opportunities through employers, construction equipment manufacturers, trade schools, and community colleges.
- Learn and apply new construction techniques. Read industry publications, watch online videos, and partner with experienced workers to improve efficiency.
- Embrace technology. Read professional blogs and journals. Spend time using apps, drones, and other construction technology to improve proficiency.
Are You Looking for a Construction Job?
Use your construction skills to find a job through CCS Construction Staffing. Visit our job board today.