Have you set your construction career goals for 2023? If not, you should start the process now.
Planning your construction career goals lets you advance along your career path. Having a plan helps identify the skills you need for increased responsibilities and pay. Then, you can find opportunities to develop these skills and earn promotions.
Follow these guidelines to develop your construction career goals for 2023.
Assess Your Current Role
- Write down the construction job you have now.
- List your skills, experience, strengths, and values.
- Detail your current responsibilities, latest projects, and biggest accomplishments.
- Consider your academic ambitions.
- Use this information to determine what you want to accomplish in the next year.
Determine Your Destination
- Think about where you want your career to be in the next 12 months.
- Write down the job title you want.
- Focus on the steps to get there.
- Break down the step into small, manageable increments.
- Visualize yourself working in the position you desire.
Perform a Gap Analysis
- Look for job postings for the role you desire.
- List the necessary skills, experience, and requirements.
- Determine whether your qualifications match the job requirements.
- Write down the areas you must develop for success in the position.
- Find opportunities to develop the necessary job qualifications.
Create Your Goals
- Write down specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time-bound (SMART) goals for 2023.
- Having clear goals lets you know what you are working toward.
- Understanding how success will be measured lets you know when you accomplish your goals.
- Breaking down your goals into small, attainable steps encourages you to continue moving forward.
- Relating your goals to your construction career plan provides motivation to reach them.
- Developing a timeline to reach your objectives increases the odds of attaining them.
Evaluate Your Progress
- Follow the timeline you created to reach your goals.
- Keep track of your weekly activity and results.
- Focus on whether you are on track to attain your objectives.
- Modify your activity or timeline as needed.
- Celebrate your successes.
Want Help Developing Your Construction Career Goals?
Work with a recruiter from CCS Construction Staffing for help setting and attaining your career goals for 2023. Visit our job board today!