Housekeeping is one of the most important practices for preventing slips, trips, and falls. Obstacles and clutter are a major cause of trips, and floor wetness and contaminants are major causes of slips.
Cleaning and Tidying
- Keep walkways and aisles clear.
- Remove obstacles and anything that is not necessary. Do not allow clutter or trash to accumulate. Keep cords neat and away from areas where people may step.
- Keep floors as clean and dry as possible.
- Minimize dust.
- Follow your organization’s cleaning guidelines.
- Store equipment and materials properly when not in use.
- Secure items so they will not fall.
- Keep storage areas clean and free of clutter.
- Clean spills promptly (or report them, if applicable).
- If chemical spills are possible, know how to respond and where the appropriate SDSs are.
- Know where wet floor signs are located and use them to warn others of spills. Remove them once the spill is cleaned.
All content from Succeed Management.