Fire safety and combustible materials:
- Keep oily rags away from oxygen to avoid spontaneous combustion.
- Always light torch with a “torch lighter.” Never use a match or cigarette and never in a keg or drum.
- Open compressed gas cylinders slowly to avoid valve damage.
- Make sure engines in buildings are away from combustible materials, and exhaust is properly ventilated.
- After work, check clothing for hidden hot slag or molten metal. Do not wear oil-soaked clothing.
Elevated work and ladder safety:
- When climbing a ladder, face the ladder and use both hands. Use hand line or material hoist to lift loads.
- Use only sturdy ladders on firm base. Where possible, angle out the base at one-fourth of the ladder’s working length. Keep the working area clear of debris.
- Have ladder reach at least three feet above landing for easy access. Tie off ladder at top (secure bottom and brace long ladders).
- Use scaffold if solid footing or safe ladder access is not possible.
- Platform planks should overlap supports not less than six inches nor more than twelve inches and be secured from shifting.
- Consider all wires “live/Hot” until checked and locked out. Keep safe distance from “live/Hot” electricity.
- Have electrical power tools or equipment properly grounded.
- Do not use electrical power tools or equipment while standing in water. All electrical power tools and extension cords should have rubber insulation. Damaged cords should be replaced not repaired.
- Only qualified personnel should make electrical repairs or installations. Do not use metal ladders and hats near high-powered electricity.
Maintain a safe work area at all times:
- Properly place cords, leads, hoses, etc., to avoid tripping hazards and unnecessary damage.
- While carrying a load, check for clear path.
- Oil, grease, and water spills must be cleaned up right away. Delay can cause accidents.
- Keep loose materials off stairs, walkways, ramps, platforms, etc.
- Remove or clinch nails in old lumber.
All Content from https://www.lossfreerx.com/Platform/Tools/Library.aspx