Tools and machinery – prior to using:
- Do not use tools with split, broken or loose handles.
- Be sure you have clear area behind you before swinging a sledgehammer, or any other tools or materials.
- Keep tools and materials away from edge of scaffolds, platforms, shaft openings, etc.
- Have tools with burred or mushroomed heads dressed. Keep cutting tools sharp and carry in a container (not in your pocket).
- Know the correct use of hand and power tools and use the right tool for the job.
- Store oily wiping rags in covered metal containers or dispose of them safely.
- Check hose, fittings, valves for leaks (use soapy water).
- Before starting machinery, opening valves, switches, etc., check safety of workers. Have all safety guards attached.
- Only qualified personnel should operate or service power tools, vehicles and other machinery.
Tools and machinery – safe operation tips:
- Operate machinery and vehicles within rated capacity and at safe speeds.
- Never point an air hose at anyone or use it to clean clothing; this is extremely dangerous!
- Never use an air hose or air pressure to empty gasoline drums.
- Do not look at welding or cutting operations without wearing proper eye protection.
- Welding, and cutting operations should be closely supervised. Remove or shield nearby combustible materials.
- Keep a fire watch with adequate fire extinguishers during and after “hot work” as job location require
Tools and machinery – repairs and maintenance:
- Report defective power tools or machinery immediately.
- Keep constant check on blocks, cables, clamps and other tackle. Repair or replace if defective.
- Never adjust or repair machinery while it is in motion.
- “Lock out” when maintenance job is required.
All Content from Succeed Management Solutions